I happened upon a girl I went to college with while I was on facebook this morning. I remembered hearing that she was getting married, but didn't know if she had yet or not. So I stalked. Saw some wedding pictures on her Fbook, and instantly the judging began. Little creeping thoughts like: "she's too young", "she was very immature when we were at college", "I wonder what made her settle down", "I can't believe she went through the temple before me" (yikes), and I even sank so low (I'm ashamed to say) as to contemplate how long the marriage would last. Y-I-K-E-S!
Then I see a blog address on her Fbook page. Neat! Let's see if she still talks/thinks the same as she did a year ago. Reading, reading, creeping, judging...... Slap in the face. Oh, she's doing the best she can. She really struggles with some things like not fitting in and her mother not being alive, and she hurts in a way I never knew. Also she's doing the best she can to be a good wifey. She IS young, but she was not oblivious to the weight of her decision. She's doing the best she can.
But....isn't that what the rest of us are doing? Yup. Just like everyone else, she has flaws and trials and positive qualities and we do the best we can! I heard a phrase once that COMPLETELY changed my life, and it is this (sorry it's getting a little redundant): "You have to assume that everyone you meet is doing the best they can." That phrase helped me understand a lot of things that I couldn't before because I was so judgmental. Apparently I'm still learning.
Another quote that was given to me yesterday that I should really pay more attention to is this : "Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are the princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love." -Rainer Maria Rilke.
So I'm recommitting myself to not judge, just love. Anyone that wants to join me is more than welcome to.
0 comments:
Post a Comment