Saturday, August 23, 2008

Home

The other thing that's been on my mind lately is that the feeling of Home is unreplaceable. I had no idea what I was getting myself into :)

College is not bad. It's actually been quite a relief. I always imagined it would be one huge stress and that i'd be continuously running around like a chicken with it's head cut off because of all the insane homework I'd have. Maybe I just haven't gotten to that point yet and it's still to come, but I've quite enjoyed how relaxing it's been. I've grown quite comfortable in my dorm room, I have great roommates, and everyone here is generally pleasant to be aroung. I quite like it here. However...

I have learned, the hard way, that there is a certain feeling or spirtit in the home that cannot be found anywhere but the home. I was really impressed with Candice's apartment because it felt so home-y, and I wanted that in my dorm too. However, I came to find that although Candice's apartment felt home-y, it was definitely not a home. I don't know how to explain it. All I can say is that I can almost guarantee that I will never be able to match the feeling of my home, no matter where I go. I could live in the same dorm for 4 years and it still wouln't come close.

I miss my home. If there's one thing I've learned from my whole week and a half of being away it's how to appreciate. I appreciate how hard my parents work everyday. I always figured they did things so that we would learn and grow up right, but they really do it solely because they love us and they want nothing but the best for us. I appreciate the people around me that were always cheering me on and helping me when needed. I never realized how much a simple deed could impact me. But the hardest lesson I had to learn was how much I really appreciate my family. I have always loved my distant relatives so much and anticipated being sealed in Heaven together, but I can now say that I love my Mom and Dad more than anyone else. I miss them, and my sister, more than I ever expected to. I'm Stephenie Spencer; I don't need anyone's help, I can do it myself. Yeah, well... I found that I CAN do it myself, but I would so much rather not. All those dumb fights we had! I seriously can't remember what a single one was about. Because I don't want to. I only remember the things I miss about them.

My family and my home are the two things I miss the most and I thought it was about time I admitted it :) Turns out Heavenly Father really does know what he's doing ;)

3 comments:

PEHNelson said...

good for you steph! good for you! luh you!

Gabriela Hull said...

It shows great maturity to come up with that conclusion after being gone only 1 week. You're doing great!

PEHNelson said...

post about your weekend home already!