Saturday, November 20, 2010

Happy Harry Potter Week To All, and To All a Good Night!

It feels as though I have reached the end of an era, despite the fact that this era was only 6 days. Yes, today is the last day of my Harry Potter Week blogging. I'm sure that this is sad to no one but me. I'm also sure that I will blog about Harry Potter many more times throughout my life, but this is the last day of Harry Potter Week, and it's kinda sad to me. Nevertheless, on with the show.

For my last Harry Potter Week blog, I just want to reflect on my gratitude. I know that this might be crossing a line and way past ridiculous, but I am TRULY grateful that I was born in the Harry Potter generation. I mean that seriously! Not because I'm just so obsessed that my life revolves around Harry Potter, because it doesn't. I am not a very creative person. I am convinced that I lack any kind of imagination completely. Whenever I "doodle", I draw stars and hearts, and even they look terrible. I'm a perfectionist, therefore, I perfect what already exists - I do not create new things. I'm also a realist. I don't really enjoy science fiction movies or books unless they mostly involve humans, because then they're more realistic. With those character flaws in mind, that is why I truly am grateful for Harry Potter. It was introduced to me in the 4th grade, and my imagination soared! I was young enough to really get into the books, I loved the movies, and it was just so easy to pretend that they were true stories! Why couldn't there be a hidden world on the other side of England? I've never been there to have it proven otherwise! Why couldn't there be select children that are born with magical tendencies? How would I know the difference?

Did I truly believe that the Harry Potter world was real? No. But I could pretend. I was lucky enough to be born in the Harry Potter generation, and that gave me a profound opportunity to use my imagination and dare to dream that there was more to this world than the reality with which I was presented! (Side note: I already know there's SO much more than this "reality"...I'm a mormon....duh......But you know what I mean). Oh I'm just going around in circles now aren't I? Ok -

I'm grateful for Harry Potter. I'm grateful for the wonderful messages and lessons that can be learned from those books, for the constant reiteration, found within the texts, that good WILL triumph over evil, and for the imaginations it inspires. In a world where literary demand is plummeting, and the desire to read is dissolving, the Harry Potter series answers the call. It is perfect for any age. Simple, yet intriguing - applicable and adventurous. It is tasteful, it is gripping, it is great.

For Harry Potter, I am truly grateful.

0 comments: