Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Harry Potter Week: Day 2

After much contemplation, I decided that today's post would be about one of the greatest underlying messages of the Harry Potter series. But I will explain in a round-about-way so as to make it more interesting.

How many people can honestly say that Harry is their favorite character in Harry Potter? I'm guessing not that many. My personal favorite is Ron (most of the time), though sometimes it is FredandGeorge (because heaven knows they are really one person). I also love Hermione - she is just beautiful - Luna, who is so great, and Neville....doesn't he just make your heart melt?? Seamus - gotta love him. Even Draco has his moments! Hate Ginny. But how many people love Harry above all the others? Like I said: not many. And yet he is the main character. Harry is always going on about how he's not as great as everyone thinks he is, he just gets lucky and has loads of help in almost every situation. This is very true, and that is what is so great about the Harry Potter series AND real life! The importance of having good friends is undefinable! So maybe you're not the single most talented person on the Earth - so what!? There are people all around you who love you and want to help, and without them nothing would really be worth anything. As Harry himself so repetitiously recites, the difference between Harry and Voldemort is that Harry's got something worth fighting for! Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, Neville, Seamus, George, Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Dumbledore.... We've got similar characters in our own lives, and aren't they the ones that make it worth the fight? I submit that they are.

You may not be the greatest human being that ever lived, but when you have the love and support of your firends and family, you can accomplish great things! And THAT is one of the great, underlying messages that can be found in the Harry Potter series.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bahaha, I love love how you put Ginny's name in smaller font. And I LOVE FREDANDGEORGE! I cried when Fred died.
I just read Kelly's blog, and I am so sorry that she doesn't remember anything from the books! Just text me if you need to talk about some good HP.
Love ya Steph!

Unknown said...

Harry's my favorite!! Mostly because he's, well, me.

Just ask Tanner.

Stephenie said...

Oh fank you Caitlyn! I will most definitely text you if I need to talk about Harry Potter but I'll have to do it soon because you are going on a mission in 2 weeks!!! Yay!!!